Mornings have always been special to me and I guard my morning routine like a Mama Bear does her cubs. On certain days, I will even get up earlier than normal in order to ensure that I have time for my morning routine because it’s that important to me. Do you have a morning routine that you have established? If you haven’t, maybe you’d like to take some ideas from mine.
- Have Some Alone Time: Depending on my schedule that day, sometimes I set the alarm clock for earlier than normal because I find that when I start my morning off alone, it sets the peaceful feeling for the day.
- Establish a Routine: We have pets here so they’re fed first, but since I love to multi-task, my coffee brews while they’re fed the morning meal. A quick perusal of the kitchen status (because I have kids who sometimes like a midnight snack) and I grab my coffee and head outside.
- Find A Quiet Spot: Yes, every morning I have my coffee outside even if only for a breath of fresh air. I am a nature girl by heart and over the years, I have grown to enjoy my coffee surrounded by nature. I look up to the sky and take in the day’s energy. It’s a few minutes of quiet meditation without it being actual meditation. I do meditate some mornings, but it depends on how much time I have and how I’m feeling. You can find a special place for your morning routine that’s right for you!
- Prayers and Affirmations: I begin my prayers, affirmations and I also choose a card for the day (spiritual card). I mentally take note of the coming day’s meetings/events and ask God/Universe for guidance and help. This may or may not resonate with you. If it’s not something you’re comfortable with, then take this precious time to speak kindly to yourself and to spend a few minutes imagining your day going smoothly!.
- Writing: Depending on the weather, I may write outside at the patio table or inside in a quiet nook in my home. But I write in my journal whatever comes to me – also called free write – and sometimes there are messages that come through the writing. Other times, it’s just letting go of whatever needs to be released or brought to fruition. If I don’t write my gratitude list in the morning, I write it at night. Appreciating what you have keeps your focus positive and this helps your day unfold smoothly! Then I plan my day ahead, checking my schedule for meetings and I make a list of what I’d like to get done, what needs to be accomplished and voilà!! I’m ready for the day!
- Self-Development: Lastly, if I have time, I will spend time reading something that has to do with personal development because that’s a necessity for me everyday. If the morning routine gets cut short, then I will make time in the afternoon. I love to read so there’s always something to inspire me, invigorate me or teach me in my library.
- Exercise: I usually don’t fit my exercise in to my morning routine, but you certainly can! Exercise is important so I schedule it when I plan my day (#5).
How about you? What’s your morning routine?